I wanted to put something together in honor of the extraordinarily talented Alan Rickman. As most of us were stunned to find out, he passed this morning after a battle with cancer. Its always weird to realize that your favorite actors are just as human as you are, subject to the same loss and pain. My prayers and condolences go out to those who loved him most. Since this is a book blog, I figured the best way to commemorate him was by going back and remembering some great moments as a man and as one of our favorite roles. Keep reading for some great Alan Rickman and Severus Snape moments! If there are any others you’d like to add, feel free to do so in the comments!
- The moment Severus noted how ridiculous it was to think Harry was involved in a love triangle: “Harry Potter’s Secret Heartache’… dear, dear Potter, what’s ailing you now? ‘A boy like none other, perhaps…” And the moment after when he addressed Harry’s Napoleon Complex: “So I give you fair warning, Potter,” Snape continued in a softer and more dangerous voice, “pint-sized celebrity or not– if I watch you breaking into my office one more time–“(GoF)
- When we began to understand him much better through his Occlumency advice: “Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance against his powers! He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!” (OotP)
- When he was clearly mad that Harry still wasn’t getting the picture. “DON’T -” screamed Snape, and his face was suddenly demented, inhuman, as though he was in as much pain as the yelping, howling dog stuck in the burning house behind them – “CALL ME COWARD!” (HBP)
- That time he vocalized what everyone else thinks about Hermione: “That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger,” said Snape coolly. “Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all.” (PoA)
- When he inadvertently fueled the Wolfstar (Sirius/Remus) fandom: “Listen to you two, quarreling like an old married couple.”(PoA Film)
- The first moment we met him, when he he spoke way too eloquently for a group of 11 year olds, but had probably stayed up all night practicing in the mirror:
“You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making,” he began. I don’t expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses … I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach. (SS/PS)
- When Severus was sick and tired of being sick and tired: “I have spied for you and lied for you, put myself in mortal danger for you. Everything was supposed to be to keep Lily Potter’s son safe. Now you tell me you have been raising him like a pig for slaughter–“(DH)
Those are just a few of my faves. Now, I will leave you with the best Alan Rickman as Severus Snape gifs. I promise they’ll serve as great punctuation for any office email (or not). Enjoy, and hope it lifts your hearts a little bit.
And why not: